2018 ANNUAL REPORT OF CENTER FOR YOUTHS MENTAL HEALTH AND DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION NIGERIA.
Center for Youths Mental Health and Drug Abuse Prevention Nigeria (CYMHDAP) was founded in January 26th, 2018 as a result of preventing drug misuse/Abuse menace among Nigerian youths and children with a resultant negative effect on the central nervous system. The NGO focal areas are Advocacy, Prevention, Education, Research and skills development. The work of CYMHDAP is to collaborate with other likemind NGOs to reduce the dangerous trend of youths involvement in drug abuse.
THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES / MEMBERS
In January, 2018 CYMHDAP incorporated her board members:
- Abimbola Akinyemi as founder/chairman who preside over the board. He is a clinical psychologist. He has several years of experience in volunteering work with Red Cross International, Dual communication ( an HIV/AIDS prevention NGO)
- Sandra Salam is the secretary of the NGO. She is an early child-hood educator. She oversees the secretariat and administrative work of the NGO.
- Barrister Grace Obeahon is the Legal Adviser of the NGO, she also double as the public Relation Officer of the NGO.
- Duke Afe is a pediatrician who oversee the mental health of the children affected by drug Abuse .
- Florence Ademola is a board member who is the guardian and counselor expert with many years of experience in family therapy.
- Oloruntoba Alabi is an accountant with many years of experience in NGO accounting. He is our internal Auditor
- Fatima Muhammed is the head of program planning and strategy , she oversees the day to day operation of the NGO. She also serves as the project supervisor of the NGO.
- Roselyn Erikete is the admin officer of the NGO.
- Bukola Aimila is the office assistance of the NGO
- Felicia John is the cleaner/ messenger of the NGO
CYMHDAP also have fifteen (15) other full members and 30 volunteers in the year 2018 that are also professionals from different fields. Our membership is free and open to any passionate members of the public .
Use get the facts sentences.
INTERNATIONAL/LOCAL MEMBERSHIP AND AFFILIATION
CYMHDAP belongs to several international organizations that are working in area of Drug Abuse prevention and Mental Health.
- International Society of Substance Use Professionals (ISSUP)
- World Federation Against Drug (WFAD)
- Vienna NGO Committee on Drugs
- INEBRIA International
- IOGT International
- World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
- Australian / New Zealand Mental Health Association
- UNODC Nigeria
- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)
- Civil Society Network on Substance and Drug Abuse (CSNETSDA)
- Nigeria Coalition on Mental Health
- Nigeria Network of NGOs
- International Association of Volunteers Effort
- Good Deed International
CYMHDAP also partner with NAFDAC, FEDERAL MINISTRY OF HEALTH, STATE MINISTRY OF HEALTH, NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORPS(NYSC).
CYMHDAP help individuals and families struggling with drug addiction and mental health issues. We as an NGO follow the international best practices in the area of drug/substance abuse likewise mental health. We respect our clients and their families privacy. We stand against stigmatization of persons who are dependent on drugs/substances likewise mental health as well
ANNUAL SEMINAR/ ROAD WALK
In June 26th 2018, which is the international day against drug Abuse and illicit trafficking, we held our annual seminar/ Roadwalk to educate, sensitize and equip the youths that are jobless with skills in the area of catering, tailoring, photography, hairdressing and barbing. The 2018 annual seminar/Roadwalk tagged “Listen First, Listening to children and youths is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe”. It is adjudge to be the best in Kogi –state, Nigeria by National Drug Law Enforcement Agency. CYMHDAP also do a strong Advocacy program tagged “2 schools per week”. This takes us to different primary, secondary and tertiary institutions in Nigeria to educate, develop student’s skills and also to teach them evidence based prevention practices in substance/drug abuse and mental health.
We also in 2018 started center for youths mental health and drug abuse prevention cultural and drama troupe to educate public and private schools pupils on drug/substance prevention and mental wellbeing.
In August 2018, CYMHDAP started her first edition of comic magazine on drug abuse/mental health tagged “the goons and their hood”.
In October 10th 2018, CYMHDAP embark on mental health campaign to commensurate the annual world mental health day at Kogi state Polytechnic, Lokoja, Nigeria with thousands of students in attendance.
CYMHDAP in 2018 ably represented by the founder and the manager , program, planning and strategy Mrs. Fatima Yusuf attended a lot of local and international training/ workshops organized by UNODC, WHO, WORLDBANK, ISSUP etc.
- 2018 annual seminar /Roadwalk which attracted several government officials, head of military/paramilitary establishments, CORP members, students and members of the public
- 2018 October 10th, world mental health day which was held in Kogi state polytechnic , Lokoja. This attracted over 2000 students.
- The international day for doing good was successfully organized by the NGO at the Nigerian Prisons Services presently Nigeria Correctional Services where professionals delivered talk on drug abuse and mental health of the inmates. Food items and toiletries worth over 500 dollars was donated to the facility.
- Our two schools per week advocacy program
- Social Development Programs. The NGO also occasionally donates food items and clothings to orphanage homes.
- International Training/ Workshop of our staff
CYMHDAP also attended webinars on drug prevention, mental wellbeing and services. We plan to start inter school debate and quiz competition on drug abuse and mental health 2019. We also plan to improve our visibility on the social media and use modern NGO software packages.